Linux Desktop Initiative

Robert Lewis yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 1 May 2004 10:13:38 -0400

On Saturday, May 1, 2004, at 09:56  AM, Ed Sutherland wrote:

> After several months of complaints and concerns regarding the
> complexity of
> using a Linux distribution as a desktop alternative to the two major
> options
> -- Windows or Mac -- I've concluded it is time we, the users,
> contribute to
> our own computing environment and make Gnome or KDE more hospitable to
> the
> average user.
>
> To that end, I'd like to compile a series of FAQs written for the
> average user
> in everyday language addresses the most pressing issues: making Linux
> productive for the average person. While their is a plethora of tips,
> hints
> and clues now available, they are often hidden in out-of-the-way
> locations,
> written in engineering language or spend inordinate time on obscure
> points....

   This is a great idea.  The most important thing for me is that it
install effortlessly on ALL Mac platforms, at least all those produced
in the last, say, three years.

   I bought yellowdog linux last fall to use on my shiny new G4.
Installation was a nightmare and I eventually just got sick of it.
I've  never yet got it done.  The lack of professionalism is
mind-boggling.  This is in marked contrast to the linux I put on a
Dell, SUSe.

   Repeat:  EFFORTLESS --  ALL RECENT PLATFORMS.

Bob Lewis