Printing Question

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 08:42:36 -0400

Gerald,

I have had flakiness with my printers on Mac OS X (bsd-based) for which
I use the following shell program:

printpdf.sh (don't forget to make it executable with chmod +x
printpdf.sh)

gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -q -r600 -sDEVICE=hl7x0 -sOutputFile=myFile $1 $2
$3 $4 $5 $6 $7 -c "quit"
lpr -PL1_on_192.168.1.111 -l myFile

Note that I need to build a special version of gs to support my Brother
hl720-class printer. -sDevice is the printer device you want to print
on. Use gs -h to see a list of possible devices. Once gs builds a
printer-specific output file, I use lpr to send it to the printer.

On Mac OS X, I just save the file as a PDF (easy from the print
dialog), but you could use any PS (postscript) driver as your printer,
I would think, and then save the print PS output to a file to pass to
gs.

I too found the ability to print essential. 8-)  I hope that this gives
you a workaround that you can use under linux.

I now have a two stage print process, print, saving file as PDF to
disk, go to command line and type /printpdf.sh
PATHTOWHATEVERFILEIJUSTSAVED.PDF (usually it's temp.pdf, unless I want
to save the job for reprinting/reviewing for some reason separate from
the original document -- pdf is nicely portable, after all!).

Best regards,

Ima