sigh

Andrew yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 05 May 2004 18:20:06 -0400

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 17:50, Jason McQueen wrote:
> Well here is my story:
>
> I get a Beige G3 233 from my job for free and decide what a nice
> opportunity to install Linux. The machines specs are as follows: G3
> 233mhz, 2 4gb HD (IBM and Segate), 256 MB RAM, floopy and CDROM, 2 MB
> on board VRAM. So I partion the first drive on the SCSI (the IBM) as
> unallocated, and install 9.2 on the Segate 4 GB drive. I then drag Boot
> X over to the desktop, unstuffit, and place the extension in the
> extensions folder, all the rest goes in the system folder. I click boot
> X, choose the Boot img, enable SCSI and away I go.. I format the drive
> using Disk Druid as Follows: First is Boot (ext2) at 100mb (when I do
> smaller it says YDL likes 75MB+), then comes Swap 512MB, then / (ext2)
> and click use remaining but I also do the math from the graph in the
> graphical installer. So I then pick the packages, and it installs
> perfectly. I then reboot pick Linux, take off the boot img, and set the
> drive to sda6 like it told me too. It tries to start but then gives me
> "Kernal Panic cant load the sda6 partition" so I take the sda6 off in
> Boot X and let it boot I then get a Kernal Panic Reboot in 180 seconds
> error.
>
> Sorry if this is so long, but I have used the search and am at a loss.
> So any help would be appreciated, linux is starting to haunt my dreams
> and if I don't vanquish the demon soon its all over for me :-).
>
> -Jason

1/10th this will work but try setting root to sdb6 in bootx.

::crossing my fingers::

Also, make sure the disks have them jumpers set properly.

	Im running YD on a G3/300 tower and I, too,  never been able to boot
from any SCSI disks so far (I have two of them), even if anaconda
installed everything on..BZZZZZ no go. I worked around this problem by
installing the /  partition on a ATA disk so that the kernel was able to
boot a bit. I then complained it cant find the other partitions (those
on the SCSI; asking for root passwd for maintenance) Then using vi to
replace all 'sdb' occurances for 'sda' in /etc/fstab... its fine since
then.

I wish you better luck than mine ;)
-Andrew