Yum

Christopher R. White yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 07 May 2004 15:31:50 -0500

I downloaded the yum.conf file from freshrpms, renamed my old yum.conf
file to yum.conf.old and ran yum install yum.  Here is the output I got

Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/yum", line 44, in ?
        yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
    File "yummain.py", line 141, in main
    File "clientStuff.py", line 655, in get_package_info_from_servers
    File "clientStuff.py", line 104, in HeaderInfoNevralLoad
ValueError: unpack List of wrong size

Then blammo, back to shell prompt.

btw, I su'd and ran this as root.  Any help?  Any ideas?  I really would
like to get this machine updated.

Chris

David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:

> Here is a yum.conf file from freshrpms which should give you access
> to  all needed updates, without having reset errors.
>
> http://freshrpms.net/packages/builds/yum/yum-yd.conf
>
> Just download it and put it in /etc.  You might want to rename your
> old  /etc/yum.conf, just to have it as a backup in case something
> goes  wrong.  Once you have the file installed the first thing I would
> do is  ' yum install yum '  Then work on the rest of the updates it
> will go  much faster with the latest version of yum.
> David C. Hacker, DVM
> 212 N 1st St #2
> New Salem, ND 58563
> (701) 843-8179
> On May 7, 2004, at 12:51 AM, Christopher R. White wrote:
>
>> I too have been unable to use either apt-get or yum to update YDL
>> 3.0   I followed the directions listed in this email, and continue to
>> get  download errors.  Some errors are connection reset by peer, some
>> are  header (near as I can tell anywayz) errors, some, I just can't
>> tell at  all why it fails.  I have tried several mirrors, with the
>> same results  each time.  If anybody has gotten yum working properly,
>> perhaps post  their yum.conf file.  Also, I tried to download the yum
>> rpm from  freshrpms.net, but was unable to get it to install
>> properly.  I'm at  the end of my rope and unable to fix it myself I'm
>> afraid!  HELP  PLEASE!
>>
>> Chris White
>>

>> Andrew wrote:

>>> hello

>>> Point yum to one of the mirrors from:
>>> <<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml#sites>>
>>>
>>> To do so, you must edit, as root, </etc/yum.conf>. I'll provide an
>>> example file (my 'old' file, actually) pointed to the Sherbrook
>>> University mirror (in Quebec, Canada, as its the closest to me I could
>>> find) later on, for your convenience. I suggest you to perform "yum
>>> install yum" first as it will update yum to 2.0.5-1 who provide a
>>> yum.conf pointed to ayo.freshrpms by default and that is a good thing!
>>> yum will let you know that the 'new' yum.conf has been created as
>>> <yum.conf.rpmnew>. You must replace the 'old' file <etc/yum.conf>
>>> by  the
>>> 'new' one <etc/yum.conf.rpmnew>. Either erase the old then rename the
>>> new as 'yum.conf' or select-all-copy-paste the 'new' file content into
>>> the 'old' one and save changes... I know <yum -c [config file]>
>>> allow  to
>>> specify the config file to use but I actually never got it to
>>> work...heh... OK, now you can use yum without 'connection reset by
>>> Peer
>>> ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH' keyboard slamming!
>>>

>>> ::OLD and modified </etc/yum.conf> file::
>>>
>>> [main]
>>> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
>>> debuglevel=2
>>> logfile=/var/log/yum.log

>>> baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/3.0/
>>> RPMS.main/
>>>
>>> [updates]
>>> name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 updates
>>> #baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/
>>> RPMS.updates/
>>> baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/3.0/
>>> RPMS.updates/
>>> [updates301]
>>> name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 updates
>>> baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/3.0.1/
>>> update/
>>>
>>> [freshrpms]
>>> name=FreshRPMS
>>> baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/
>>> ---cut here
>>>

>>> ::NEW and bone-stock </etc/yum.conf> (formerly
>>> </etc/yum.conf.rpmnew>)::
>>>
>>> # $Id: yum-yd.conf,v 1.5 2003/09/18 16:29:06 dude Exp $
>>>
>>> [main]
>>> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
>>> debuglevel=2
>>> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
>>> pkgpolicy=newest
>>> distroverpkg=yellowdog-release
>>> gpgcheck=1
>>> tolerant=1
>>> exactarch=1
>>>
>>> [os]
>>> name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - os
>>> baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/os
>>>
>>> [updates]
>>> name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - updates
>>> baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/
>>> updates
>>>
>>> [freshrpms]
>>> name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms