What are Source CDs for

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:41:27 -0500

Mr. Stephen-MGI1225:

Did your parents hyphenate their last names when they married? :-)

Thudium Stephen-MGI1225 wrote:
> I installed YDL 3.0 from a box set. This box set includes
> 3 source CDs that contain hundreds of application packages.
> However, there is no documentation to describe these packages
> so I don't know which to install, if any, or do I install
> them all? Anyway, where do I get this description?

You probably received two sets of disks, Install 1, 2, and 3, and Source
1, 2, and 3. For now, all you need are the Install disks. The
instructions should be included in a booklet that came with your boxed set.

The source CDs have two significances: first, if you become a Yellow Dog
Linux Wizard, you may want to compile your own kernels and applications
so that you can wrest the maximum performance out of every bit and byte.

Second, Yellow Dog Linux is an Open Source operating system that uses
the GNU Public License (GPL). The GPL specifies that Open Source
software must include (or have available on an FTP server) the source
code for all its projects. Terra Soft (the Yellow Dog Linux folks) are
just doing the right thing by giving you the source on those CDs. Think
of it as a welcoming gift to the Open Source community.

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: