Continuing MOL problems

mascarasnake yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:42:03 -0400

Hey Roger -

Roger Scow wrote:

> Hi, all.  My continuing mol saga:  OSX, YDL 3.0.1, 2.24-2g kernel, mol
> version -.69- . I've edited the molrc.osx file, and told it to boot from
> my OSX partition, which is dev/hda9.  I have checked to see if the OSX
> partition is mounted in linux with mount (it isn't).
>
> When I startmol -X, a full screen with tux and the apple come up, and
> the OSX swirly cogwheel thing spins.  I let it spin for an hour, but no
> startup of anything else.  I couldn't get it to abort back into linux
> with control-F8.

Mol runs in the 8th virtual console ([control] F8). If you started mol
from a terminal in X, try [control] F7 to get back to X. from there, you
should be able to see any errors in the terminal screen (and also kill
mol from there). If you can get to any console, run:
	ps aux
to get the pid for mol (it should be under '/usr/lib/mol/<mol
version>/bin/mol'). As root run:
	kill 1234
replacing 1234 with mol's pid.

This is kind of a trade off since the Mac OS disk shuts down uncleanly,
but it will allow you to get back to your linux system to try and fix
things without a series of forced halts and boots.

> I wish I could see what was coming up in terminal, but since I can't get
> back out of the mol startup, and have to do a hard shutdown, I lose the
> terminal history.
> Should I use yum or rpm to remove mol and mol kmods and reinstall?
>
> Could someone using a New World ROM send me a copy of their molrc.osx file?

wish I could help you there, but my NewWorld box is wiped clean of linux
- eagerly awaiting YDL 4.

HTHO and g'luck

--
     It's what you make it man