yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #1212 - 8 msgs

David C. Hacker, DVM yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:08:22 -0400

--Apple-Mail-1-998669114

I have a 1.25 Ghz eMac and it is definitely a great value.
In order to set yaboot to boot both OS X and OS 9 you will have to have
them on seperate partitions on your hard drive.
I figured the PRAM setting would restore your yaboot.
The printer is probably trying to print the postscript data as ascii
text.  Try changing drivers for your printer or settings on the driver.
David C. Hacker, DVM
On Aug 21, 2004, at 4:37 PM, Andy Fingerson wrote:

> David, I have a 700 MHz eMac that was purchased in Aug. 2002. Great
> machine for the price, BTW... even better value these days on the
> newer eMacs.
>
> Is there a way yaboot can be configured so I can choose between
> booting OS 9 and OS X? Would this require me to create separate
> partitions for each Mac OS?
>
> The PRAM resetting did help restore yaboot, thank you.
>
> I was able to get YDL to recognize my Epson printer, but when I did a
> print off a Mozilla page the printer seemed like it was printing but
> the printer head was just moving back and forth over the same area of
> the paper. When I turned off the printer and turned it back on it just
> kept feeding paper through until I turned the power off. ??
>
> Thank you.
>

>> Hi Andy and welcome to the newbie list,
>> Which eMac do you have?  It must be one of the original ones because
>> the new ones won't even boot OS 9, other than in Classic mode within
>> OS
>> X.
>> To improve your resolutions in MOL run molvconfig again and make sure
>> you go through all of the possible choices for your resolution even if
>> they are generic ones.  Sometimes they work better.
>> The problem with not being able to boot back into your drive is in
>> part
>> due to the fact that once you install Linux and yaboot you should
>> never
>> use the startup disk control panel, because it looses your yaboot
>> settings.  Sometimes resetting the PRAM works.  Try holding down
>> command-option-P-R when you startup and let it chime 3 times and see
>> what you get.
>> David C. Hacker, DVM

--Apple-Mail-1-998669114

I have a 1.25 Ghz eMac and it is definitely a great value.

In order to set yaboot to boot both OS X and OS 9 you will have to
have them on seperate partitions on your hard drive.

I figured the PRAM setting would restore your yaboot.

The printer is probably trying to print the postscript data as ascii
text.  Try changing drivers for your printer or settings on the driver.

David C. Hacker, DVM

MHz eMac that was purchased in Aug. 2002. Great machine for the price,
BTW... even better value these days on the newer eMacs.

Is there a way yaboot can be configured so I can choose between
booting OS 9 and OS X? Would this require me to create separate
partitions for each Mac OS?

The PRAM resetting did help restore yaboot, thank you.

I was able to get YDL to recognize my Epson printer, but when I did a
print off a Mozilla page the printer seemed like it was printing but
the printer head was just moving back and forth over the same area of
the paper. When I turned off the printer and turned it back on it just
kept feeding paper through until I turned the power off. ??

Thank you.

</fontfamily>

[...]

<excerpt><excerpt>This is my first post to the newbie list so I'd like
to say hello to

everyone out there. I installed YDL on my eMac about a week ago and

I'm enjoying the speed of the OS compared to OS X 10.3.5, but I've

come across a few problems which include not being able to print to

my Epson Stylus and very poor resolution when using Mac on Linux. I

noticed something else today; I chose Mac OS 9.2.2 as my startup disk

in OS X's System Preferences and after restarting the computer I get

the flashing question mark icon. I then must restart and hold down

option-command-shift-delete to start up from my external FireWire

drive which is a carbon copy of my hard drive except it doesn't have

YDL (not partitioned). I can start up in OS 9.2.2 or OS X with no

problems on the external drive but OS 9.2.2 on the internal drive

will not start up. Is this related to my installing YDL? Thanks

--Apple-Mail-1-998669114--