YDL 4.0

Brian McKee yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:55:18 -0400

On Monday, August 23, 2004, at 08:06  PM, Arch and Cath wrote:

> This forum has had several discussions over the last months about the
> impending (and evidently much anticipated) YDL 4.0 release.   I am a
> little
> confused -- why do we care?
{snippage}
> I always thought that these distros were just a way of getting started.
> What will 4.0 get us that we don't already have?

While I haven't seen the details of what is to be in YDL4, if you
compare
RedHat 8 to Fedora Core (the distros YDL 3 and 4 are based on) there are
many very important and useful advances.
	KDE 3.2 is FASTER and prettier.  It also has more neat bells
and whistles for those that like those things.  Kmail (now Kontact) is
much nicer,
and integrates with an address book, scheduler, notes, calendar etc.
Kwallet is new (think Apple keychain).
	Gnome has changed quite a bit too (I don't use it) and most people seem
to think it's much better.
	The 2.6 kernel is also faster, supports way more hardware, and puts
YDL on
the same footing as the other major distros.  There were many
improvements here,
poke around with Google for details.  As time goes on, software will
require this kernel, so you will have to upgrade here if you want to
upgrade
elsewhere.
	ALSA is much more powerful than previous sound systems (expect some
growing
pains here with YDL4)
	Many many bugs have been squashed since RedHat 8.  Sure new ones have
created,
but fewer than there were before.
	Linux is advancing like a runaway freight train.  YDL4 really will be
much better
(for anyone capable of running it) after the worst of the intial
problems are chased down.
I think most people will be very pleasantly suprised at all the
improvements.
Brian
PS  Jeez, now that I re-read this, I sound like a terrasoft ad....