Cannot execute binary file

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:12:15 -0500

Mr. Stephen-MGI1225:

Thudium Stephen-MGI1225 wrote:

> I want to install an application on my YDL 3.0.1 box that
> I downloaded from Sun Microsystems. Sun indicates that the
> file is for a Linux installation and this installer is
> started by entering ./[filename]. But when I enter that
> command I get a "cannot execute binary file" error message.

Almost certainly, the binary you downloaded was compiled for the
Sun/Solaris operating system on either their own platform or an
Intel-based computer. It will not work on Yellow Dog Linux on a
Macintosh. Unless Sun has supplied source code for the application that
you can compile directly on your machine, I think it will never work for
you.

Sorry!

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: