Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 06:54:51 MDT 2004

Olaf,

Thank you for the suggestion of webmin. It should come installed and RUNNING
as a default on YDL - it should be the first thing that the admin sees after
the system is installed!

It makes configuring the system sooooooo much easier.

I now have Samba running smoothly and httpd is working well now too! I
haven't bothered playing with AppleTalk but I wouldn't be surprised if it
was as easy to set up as Samba!

Now I'm trying to find a good primer on permissions and httpd, and how to
set permissions properly. Permissions have been the bane of my Linux/UNIX
usage experience (& it's a real turn off).

Eric.

>From: Olaf Olson <oolson at hadleyconnection.com>
>Subject: Re: Getting an Apache (httpd) server up and running (YDL 3.0.1)
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:38:22 -0700
>
>I just installed webmin. I had it on my old 8500, which has since gone into
>semi-retirement, but had forgotten how to install. A little searching
>turned it up again, at http://www.webmin.com/download.html.
>
>What's not written there is that webmin ISN'T platform specific. So, you
>don't have to search for a ppc version. You do have to use rpm, as I
>haven't yet found a yum repository with it. That's not tough, as the page I
>mentioned does have instructions. It also has a brief mention of a PGP key.
>Download that to the same directory as the noarch.rpm, run the rpm
>--checksig webmin-1.160-1.noarch.rpm
>command, so that the signature file verifies the proper information and
>then do the install.
>
>It worked the first time, has a beautiful front end for SAMBA, much easier
>to understand than the standard form, and it even has other info to manage
>your machine. It works as advertised and has a much better interface than
>the version I first installed, last year.
>
>Best of luck,
>
>Olaf
>
>David Kusterer wrote:
>

>>On 27.09.2004 16:10 Uhr, "Eric D" <hideme666 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello, I am trying to get an http server working on YDL 3.0.1.
>>>[snipsnap]
>>
>>>Questions:
>>>
>>>1. Are there any utilities out there that will allow for a cleaner (&
>>>easier) set up of Apache on YDL for httpd (& WebDAV but that's for a
>>>later project... right now I'd like plain http working) than what I'm
>>>using (GNOME
>>>HTTP and the GNOME server start/stop/restart application and chown/chmod
>>>to change ownerships)?
>>
>>Try Webmin. You can use it to set up apache, and a lot of other servers
>>too,
>>WebDAV amongst them. You just need the right modules. I'm sorry I don't
>>know
>>how to install it in YDL (as it does not work on my iBook G4 ;( ), I used
>>fink in OS X (and it worked), but try yum.
>>
>>Good luck
>>
>>David

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
first two months FREE*.