Enabling ftp and Telnet into a YDL box

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 1 18:20:45 MDT 2004

Hi, I would get "WebMin". It's a really easy to use piece of software that
allows you to control MANY different aspects of your YellowDogLinux install!
I'm a newbie (week 2 of using it) and I have running: 1. http server
(Apache); 2. Samba (file sharing for Mac OS X and Windows); 3. Telnet; 4.
SSH; and I'm sure I'm forgetting a number of other things that I've enabled
simply because I could.

It's really easy to use once you install (also really easy). You simply open
your browser and go to localhost:10000 and enter your root user id and root
password. If you want other people to be admins on the system but not have
access to your root password, you can create separate WebMin administration
accounts (and you can administer your computer from anywhere on the
internet).

One consideration is if you are running a router between your internet
connection and your computer. Chances are that the router is NOT doing
something called port forwarding. If you do have a router you'd have to
enable port forwarding for whatever services you expect to be using (like
ftp, http (80), ssh, telnet, WebMin (10000... had to open that one up)). If
you do have a router then you'll have to do this... I'm sure there are
people here and elsewhere on the net that could help you.

PS Linux is fun once you get over the initial hurdle. I now have OS X
running under MOL (and, if you get as far as wanteiung to run MOL... there's
a much easier solution than what's documented... though, not as elegant as
some ;-)

PSS Running OS X 10.2 under MOL under 128 MB of RAM on a Beige G3/266 whilst
downloading the combined 10.2.8 updater is not exactly the best way to make
your computer fly (fortunately a fast 80 GB drive helps a little bit).

Eric.