Enabling ftp and Telnet into a YDL box

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 2 06:32:14 MDT 2004

Hey Aladdin -

Sunalla, Aladdin wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	Any one knows how to enable ftp and telnet to a YDL station. I have
> installed the ftp server rpm, but apparently did not enable it, anybody
> knows which steps are missing here?
>
> Thanks,
> Aladdin

you can get GUI control over your services by going to 'Kicker >> System
Settings >> Server Settings >> Services' which will pull up a little app
for turning different daemons off and on ( you can also pull this up by
running:
	redhat-config-services
making changes here, you might want to make sure that you get them
running under runlevels 3,4 and 5.

I find it simpler to do it from the CLI as root(sudo):
	/sbin/chkconfig --list
gives a list of available services and their status. To turn services
on, off or restart services (as an example vsftpd - the ftp server):
	/sbin/service vsftpd start	# to start the server
	/sbin/service vsftpd restart	# to restart the server
  	/sbin/service vsftpd stop	# to stop the server

Just a note on telnet - ditch it unless you absolutely need it. Use ssh
instead. I don't really know the nuts and bolts, but I've read enough
from folks that do who all say telnet is rife with security problems.

g'luck

--
     It's what you make it man
     Takes time