Root

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 12:17:49 MDT 2004

Eric D wrote:
> Can anyone explain to me why some applications require that you login as
> root, and will not run as "su"?

I'll interject some thoughts here.

'su' is more appropriately 'substitute user' and not so much 'super
user'.  While typing in su followed by your root password gives you
limited admin permissions, you aren't truly root. As 'su otheruser'
followed by 'otheruser's password will log you in as 'otheruser' and
give you access to those files and permissions, you have to pass the '-'
or '-l' flag to 'su' to gain full root permissions.

in essence, 'su' without the login flag ('-' or '-l') gives you the same
privileges as sudo does (with the 'ALL=(ALL) ALL' argument in the
sudoers file).

As far as why some apps require this, I guess that apps like pdisk just
want to know that you really are "The Man (or Woman)" in order for you
to use them.