[OT] - Downloadable Mac OS

yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 12 11:24:30 MDT 2004

Norberto:

yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response, but I need Mac OS 7.5.X
> whichever one is the one being offered for free
> download.

You are correct that Mac OS 7.5.5 is the version of the Mac OS that is
available for download from Apple's Web site. Unfortunately, there is no
free version of the Mac OS that will boot a G3. You don't mention the
exact model, but the oldest G3 desktop or mini-tower models will not
boot with anything earlier than Mac OS 8.0. Sorry!

However, since each machine shipped with some version of the Mac OS, you
would not be violating any license agreement by loading some version of
Mac OS 8.x on each machine. Go with a "x.1" release like 8.1, 8.6.1, or
even 9.1, and you will not have problems.

Best wishes,
Clint