YD on G3 Powerbook + Firebird

mascarasnake dontdrill at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 14:47:54 MDT 2004

Hey, Nick - (and welcome back Dr. Clint)

Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Mr. Clarke:
>
> Nick Clarke wrote:
>
>> [...] Now I want to place YD on my older G3 PowerBook
>> (Codename: Kanga). Is YD 3 compatible with this PowerBook
>> or is their another version of Linux I could use?
>

> I had Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 and 3.0.1 installed on a "Wallstreet"
> PowerBook G3 with no problems (other than problems that are endemic to
> Linux on any laptop). I think the "Kanga" is internally similar enough
> to work with YDL 3.x. The following page agrees with my guess:
>
> <http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/others.shtml>

Just to add to Dr. Clint's reply, gsabreu installed 3.0 on a kanga and
hit a snag with configuring X (don't we all?). The thread starts here:
<http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-October/016274.html>
and norberto gave an excellent link to a frame buffer list for different
Macs (follow the thread). An excellent free utility for Mac owners
concerned about HW comparisons is Mactracker:
	<http://www.mactracker.ca/>
from looking there, the "Kanga" video is onboard, where the "Wallstreet"
has an ATI Rage (of some sort).

>> Finally, really silly question - is there a version of
>> Firebird for PPC?
>

> Search the list archives for "Firefox" (note: not "Firebird") and
> "Matthias" (for Matthias Saou -- a YDL Hero); go to any Yellow Dog Linux
> page and the search field is at the top. You will find an "RPM" for
> Firefox 0.9.2:
>
> <http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-July/014957.html>

you can get Firefox (and many more wunnerful, wunnerful apps) from
freshrpms (All Hail Matthias Saou) by adding their repository to your
'yum.conf' file. not knowing which version of yum you are running you
should be safe adding:
	[freshrpms YDL 3.0]
	name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 freshrpms
	baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms
to your 'yum.conf' file.

> Good luck, and welcome to the Yellow Dog Linux community!
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint

g'luck

	And once again, welcome back Dr.Clint.