I must be stupid...

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:24:42 MST 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:49:23 +0000, Saverio D'Agostino <sev at clara.co.uk> wrote:
> I must be stupid!!

No, you just haven't stumbled on the right solution yet.

> I've got a powerbook g4 and connected to a Dlink 300+ I've even taken off
> the Airport extreme basetation and connected the crossovercable - it see's
> it via dhcp that's the infuriating thing!!
>
> HELP!!

The Airport Extreme does _not_ work with YDL (or any non-Apple OS).
It's a proprietary chip-set (Broadcom) and Apple/Broadcome have never
provided info which would allow for someone to write a driver for
Airport Extreme.

So the PowerBook G4 acquires an IP address from the DLink 300's DHCP server?

My YDL box (using default settings) also acquires an IP addy from my
router (DHCP server active) which itself connects to my ISP through
the ADSL modem. The ADSL modem is in bridge mode so the router does
the job of logging into the ISP.

You may want to look at what interface you're using (usually eth0).
Perhaps you've got YDL set up to use the Airport Extreme still?

Eric.