How to update KDE on YDL3?

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sun Nov 21 18:15:24 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 18:57, Ted Goranson wrote:
> Andrew wrote on 11/21/04:
> >  Im
> >waiting for YDL4 to be released and I'll use them rpms to upgrade.
>
> Well, I actually have the YDL4 (geek) disks. Now what?
>
> Best, Ted

Before I start, you must know that I dont have the YDL4 CDs yet. I can't
warranty anything will actually work but that is how I would do it
myself.  This should work, anyway. If you have to upgrade THE rpm
package first...bonjour dependency festival... as rpm-dependent packages
will ask for even more dependencies.. this is redundant and
hell-a-complex and im not diving into this -sorry :)

	Copy the KDE packages onto your HD for later convenience. I suggest you
put them in </usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/> You want all of the followings plus
the dependencies (if they have any) and maybe the -devel ones (if you
wish, but I strongly recommend it).

	-kdelibs-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdebase-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdeaddons-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdeadmin-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdeartwork-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdebindings-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdeedu-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdegames-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdegraphics-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdemultimedia-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdenetwork-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdepim-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdesdk-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdetoys-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdeutils-*.ppc.rpm
	-koffice-*.ppc.rpm
	-kdevelop-*.ppc.rpm

NOTE: * must be replaced by the package version (3.2.1 if I am right)

	Where are they you will ask? Well...with YDL3 they were split in two
CDs, some on CD2 and the others on CD3... Of course, you'll need root
privileges for the most steps to comes. So be it and lets go:

Mount the CD1:
	[root]# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Copy the rpm files onto your HD, in <usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/>:
	[root]# cp /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/RPMS/kde* /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/

Unmount the CD and eject it:
	[root]# umount /dev/cdrom; eject /dev/cdrom
*IF you get 'umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy' use this line instead:
	[root]# cd /; umount /dev/cdrom; eject /dev/cdrom

Insert the next CD and repeat the above steps for all four disks. This
way, we'll make sure you have all of them on HD. Ok, now lets simulate
the actual update, this will take forever but we will know the
dependencies to be satisfied at no risk for your system integrity. I
recall a fact: dependencies will bring even more dependencies, making
the update process quite tedious.

	[root]# rpm --test -Uvh /usr/src/rpm/RPMS/ppc/kde*

If it pass the test and/or once you are done resolving dependencies,
repeat the last command without --test.

Have fun :)
-Andrew

BTW: What about installing v4 instead of upgrading from v3?