Setting your hardware clock in Linux

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 06:34:17 MST 2004

I believe this comment will be relevant to many (most?)
amateur/non-server users (since Linux unfortunately doesn't include
all the tools we need or is quite as user-friendly as my parter
likes... OS X is now the default boot OS on my laptop ;-):

"The preferred option is to keep it in UTC because then daylight
savings can be automatically accounted for. The only disadvantage with
keeping the hardware clock in UTC is that if you dual boot with an
operating system (such as DOS) that expects the hardware clock to be
set to local time, the time will always be wrong in that operating
system."

... that said, I'd love to be able to set UTC... for the same reason I
don't use any imperial units of measurement (although, I do use lbs
for live weight b/t 0-300 lbs and feet/inches for height b/t 0-7'))...
as a complete OT & pretty wild tangent, I recently came across a
(major) grocery store where they are now listing /kg in large type,
and /lb in small type OR NOT AT ALL... it's taken 35 years but we're
finally seeing imperial being dropped in most aspects of life (...neat
observation: the CIA World Fact Book
<http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/> is entirely SI
(systeme internationale/metric)... the CIA is part of the US
military?)

Eric.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:22:52 -0600, Clinton MacDonald
<clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Friends:
>
> Here's a cool article from Lockergnome that tells why and how to set
> your system clock, and why you might want to set it to Universal
> (Greenwich, UTC/GMT) time:
>
> <http://channels.lockergnome.com/linux/archives/20041126_linux_clocks_and_time.phtml>
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint
>
> --
> Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT net>

Sincerely, Eric Dunbar