Whats up with iBook G4 sound?

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 12:56:29 MST 2004

I've got a new G4 iBook (October 2004 revision) During the
installation process, the sound tester worked fine, however its not
been working since. KDE gave some error when loading Arts the first
time that I accidentally ignored, and in the shutdown sequence, aumix
gives an error on attempting to close down.

I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.9 as I wanted to use the iBook sleep mode
patch that BenH has recently produced. On this kernel, the
dmasound_pmac driver refuses to load, at all

So if the driver worked during the installer, why isn't it working
now? Is it likely to work if loaded as a module rather than if
compiled into the monolithic kernel?

Cian