Extra cd's?

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 7 18:27:14 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 02:05, John Davis wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>             A quick question. The extra 2 cd's which come with the
> standard YDL4 installation  are they all rpm's and there shouldn't be
> any problems installing them with the "rpm - i " command?
>             John.

This is it. Since RPM came along dependencies, I strongly recommend
'yum' to install extra software as it will deal with them for you. The
yum repository(ies) already host all files found on all 4 CDs. Of
course, if you have a (slow) dial-up internet you can use the CDs but
that invoke to bring along the dependencies and if they happen to reside
on another CD then you're running in circles so you'll have to copy the
package on the HD as well as the dependency(ies) and install them as
one:

rpm -i package_name dependency_1 dependency_2 dependency_3....

TIP: you can hit <TAB> for automatic completion of file names.