Best Route/Package for Newbies - ydl.net, manual etc

John Cochrane johnc33 at dircon.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 15:00:48 MST 2004

A few months back, I made my first venture into Linux, with YDL 3.0.1,
downloading the ISOs from a mirror, successfully installing (reasonably
painlessly) on a Beige G3, and dabbling enough to familiarise myself with
the basics. But then work went through the roof (being self-employed) and
the whole thing went on hold.

So now (with a bit more time on my hands coming soon) I'm kinda starting
again (this time with a B&W G3 and probably YDL4), and facing the same
questions I was asking myself the previous time, but never sought answers
to. They are:

1) YDL.net (and it's various mutations... 'enhanced', 'pro') - is it worth
it/recommended. The e-mail address and web space doesn't matter to me, nor
(at the moment) does the advanced availability of new releases. Is there
anything else unique (such as better errata info and updates) that warrants
taking out a subscription?

2) Should I purchase a 'box set' package from TS. Clearly the input of some
£ into the system is never a bad thing (for TS at least!), but at the same
time, I have no issues (technically or otherwise) with downloading and
burning the ISOs, as I did before. Further, I don't see that I have a need
(at least yet) for the included source CDs, or the sticker ;-)  So the
remaining question is about the 'manual'. Can anyone enlighten me (and
probably others) just how comprehensive and useful the manual is, and
whether it's worth making a 'box set' purchase for.

Thanks in advance.

John