Best Route/Package for Newbies - ydl.net, manual etc

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:09:28 MST 2004

> Yes, YDL.net is suspiciously vague about what exactly
> 'YDL.net{enhanced,pro}' actually offers - hence my curiosity and caution. I
> just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing some real 'nugget of
> usefulness'. And since no-one is beating down my door saying "get it", I
> figure I can do without it and proceed as before.

I don't have it either, even though I've bought enough to get the
entry level one (over 60 dollars on Terrasofts own store, right?)

> >> 2) Should I purchase a 'box set' package from TS.
> >> Clearly the input of some £ into the system is never
> >> a bad thing (for TS at least!), but at the same time,
> >> I have no issues (technically or otherwise) with
> >> downloading and burning the ISOs, as I did before.
> >
> > I was happy with the boxed set of YDL 3.0, so I can recommend that
> > option. The manual was useful, though not entirely up-to-date with
> > details (I hope they have corrected that). Remember, you do *not* get
> > support unless you purchase the US$89.95 edition (however, that is what
> > this and the companion Yellow Dog General lists are for!).

> Actually, I've gone full circle on this one. Initially I thought that I
> would get the boxed set, for two reasons:
>
> (i) the manual. But from your later paragraph it sounds like I won't gain
> much that I didn't learn on my previous short-term experimental YDL install.
> Support-wise, it was always my plan to draw heavily on the good-natured
> individuals that prop up this mailing list, with the hope that I would one
> day be competent enough to give something back!

The manual isn't very YDL or even PPC specific, barring sections on
Yum and MOL . Its very, very useful for a total newbie, but as someone
who's been using UNIX systems for ten years its a bit pointless...

> (ii) the convenience. But now I'm thinking that the whole process of needing
> an ISO (or package), identifying the right element and a suitable location,
> followed by download and install is actually a core aspect of the Linux
> experience, and therefore, there is much that could be learned from taking
> this approach, including familiarisation with mirrors, naming conventions
> etc.... Maybe when I become more familiar, and all that becomes a 'chore',
> I'll take the more convenient route!
> >
> > As for your money supporting a good cause (i.e., Terra Soft's efforts to
> > port GNU/Linux to the PowerPC platform), that is your call. *I* like to
> > support them, so I purchase my CDs. To keep your conscience clear,
> > however, know that most of Terra Soft's money comes from their sale of
> > *hardware* (Power Mac G5s with YDL pre-installed) to large corporate
> > customers.
>
> I'm feeling better already!!

I've always paid for Linux distros and did so again with YDL because
even though TSS's cash comes from the hardware, if the desktop OS is
losing money they'd drop it. And I don't want to go to Gentoo....

> >> Further, I don't see that I have a need (at least yet)
> >> for the included source CDs, or the sticker ;-)
> >
> > Again, you have mostly answered your own question -- how insightful you
> > are! :-)
>
> I thought long and hard about the sticker :-)

The T-Shirt in the boxed set is actually quite good, although I wish
I'd gone a size bigger. It also seems to be able to take a washing and
not go completely out of shape like most freebie t-shirts. The
stickers (I bought the boxed and the geek edition, dunno why, but I
got two stickers....) I stuck on my old Powerbook and my Powermac,
neither of which are even supported by YDL4....

> >> So the remaining question is about the 'manual'. Can
> >> anyone enlighten me (and probably others) just how
> >> comprehensive and useful the manual is, and whether
> >> it's worth making a 'box set' purchase for.

See above.

Cian