Updating the kernel and MOL

steve s s_sandrussi at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:18:05 MST 2004

Hey

I am having trouble updating my kernel. I used yum update to download the
new kernel but the system is still using the old one. I checked the /boot
directory and saw that the new kernel files were there. Still not knowing
what to do,I looked in the mailing list and found a solution that pointed to
this link,
http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/Configuring+YDL/Kernel+Errors+and+Mac+On+Linux,
and followed the instructions to update my yaboot.conf file. This is it, any
problems with the changes I made?

****** my yabbot.conf file *****

# yaboot.conf generated by anaconda

boot=/dev/hda2
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux! Hit <TAB> for boot options."
partition=5
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=10
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/hdb9

image=/vmlinux-2.6.9-1.ydl.7
	label=linux
	read-only
	initrd=/initrd-2.6.9-1.ydl.7.img
	root=/dev/hda3
	append="rhgb quiet"

image=/vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7
	label=linux (Old Kernel)
	read-only
	initrd=/initrd-2.6.8-1.ydl.7.img
	root=/dev/hda3
	append="rhgb quiet"

After making the changes I then tried to run ybin -v as root like the
solution suggested but get the follwoing message:

[root at localhost etc]# ybin -v
bash: ybin: command not found

Would anybody have any ideas. I followed the soolution and even copied and
pasted the ybin -v command at the prompt and still get the message.

Thanks