YD 4.0

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:44:32 MST 2005

> I am sure Windows XP ships on 5 or 6 CD-ROMs, at least, and Mac OS X is
> on 4 or 5 (or one multi-gigabyte DVD-ROM).

Not so. One CD-700. Longhorn is 2 CD-700's or 1 DVD at the moment.

OSX is on TWO DVD's, or at least the 10.3.5 discs I have are. Ones
much smaller than the others. And then theres the third disc for
Classic...

Linux and OSX are both just BIG. I've never been sure why. Windows
just uses compression to yesterday and back - the installed OS is
around 1.8GB.

In comparison BeOS uses around 600MB for the OS, the development tools
and a decent browser and office suite. An example of how to make a
good OS, make a terribly stupid decision (Hey! Lets do set top boxes)
and kill yourself. Something that happened to RISCOS, almost exactly
the same - except BeOS was for internet TV's and RISCOS for satellite
decoders.

Cian

We have come to expect a lot