source tree

lincr rutledge.50 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 10 10:46:54 MST 2005

Howdy,

I started poking through the documentation, and was looking for some
help on setting up a source tree.  I know we get SRPMS on the cds, but
how can we set this up so we can do our own build?  Also is there a way
to make this easier, using CVS, or does the SRPM system not do that?

I am really only looking for a source tree for the most basic parts, the
toolchain, kernel, shell, init, etcetera.

When I used to use OpenBSD they had a tarball that you pulled down, and
it had the standard release userland sources all set up.  Is there some
similar simple way under Yellow Dog?

BTW lots of people on this list criticize YDL, and I agree that not
everything is perfect, but at least with an open system, you have the
OPTION to try to make things work from source.  For example, if yum lets
you down, you can always make something build by hand.  And no matter
what some people say, Debian's PPC support is a rock and a stick
compared to YDL.  No other distribution devotes resources to their PPC
port the way that YDL does, you can tell it is their focus by the
attention to detail.

My two cents, I have tried other systems.  OpenBSD has good support, but
they do not support USB wifi for religious reasons etcetera, but I have
that freedom with YDL.  So, thanks for providing a good PPC Linux.

BOFH Excuse of the minute:
poor power conditioning