USB on a Beige G3 : WAS: Re: Install disk doesn't boot

Don dtownhome at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 16 23:53:11 MST 2005

>> Is there a retrofit card that can be installed to
>> allow me to hook up a burner to my ol beige G3 300?
>>
>Do you mean a USB card??

Yeah!  That's the idea. Although....To clarify:

I have both a G3, and an iMac.  Linux 3.0 was just installed
on the iMac last week while the G3 is still 'waiting'....and
'up next' when I get that far.

I really like having 3 monitors, which the iMac can't do, so
I don't want to do a total change over to the iMac as my main
machine.  The iMac is there if I finally give in and upgrade
that direction.  For now its a good linux testbed and a fast
internet machine as well as a 'back up' machine.

The thinking was about burning CD's on the G3 with an external
USB burner already on hand.  Eventually I'd like having Linux,
OS X, the burner, and OS 9 all available on it.  The systems
hopefully can all be on different hard drives... once I iron
out the bugs on understanding Linux better.  IMac can't do
the extra internal drives or the 3 monitors. Sometimes the
water gets muddy in the planning these days.

Could I move the dual formatted ATA drive over to the iMac right
now in order to end up with linux running correctly there or will
Linux have a fit trying to find the hard drive?  My guess is that
perhaps it would work fine as long as it is arranged to be the
primary / start up drive.

Thanks
Don