Why Yellowdog?

Andrew Mason andrew at assertis.net
Fri Jan 21 00:46:25 MST 2005

Aqua is simply a toolkit (?theme applied to a tool kit even?) which is what
OSX uses.

GTK is the toolkit that Gnome and XFCE4 use and QT(from trolltech) is the
Toolkit that KDE uses. You can pretty much make either of these toolkits look
like Aqua and. The difference is the amount of control and the options that
are built into your DE that make the difference. For example in KDE i can
make it LOOK like and behave exactly the same as a windows system, or an OSX
system (not that I would do this though =) ) but the control i have over the
window system is still the same. i.e I can have a windows selected and raised
as soon as I put the mouse over it, or I can position the location of the
close buttons, I can turn off all animations or turn on only selected
animations and options etc... This is where Aqua/OSX annoys me, you simply
can't do that with apples implementation. So although they may have an OpenGL
windowing system, its still not as fast/responsive as my YDL install simply
coz I'm waiting milliseconds after i do anything for all the f*ing animations
to finish.

With Gnome, XFCE, KDE (other WM's as well) you have complete control over
almost everything. Unless Havoc Pennington decides to remove yet another
feature from Metacity of course ;)