Why Yellowdog?

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 21 12:30:54 MST 2005

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> PSS Clint -- I agree with you on the dearth of novel GUI
> ideas. So far I've seen little evidence of out of the box
> thinking in the GUIs: they're all more-or-less Windows
> clones with a few snazzy add-ons. In the early 90s I
> remember my first encounters with X (probably 6 or 7 ;)
> and seeing some pretty impressive GUIs -- now why couldn't
> they have had a stronger influence on GNOME or KDE :( :(.

I agree. For the longest time my default YDL/Mandrake environment was
Blackbox or Fluxbox, which is -- by design -- very minimal in its user
interface. Many of my favorite applications in that environment were the
plain X apps (xclock and xterm come to mind, but there were many
others). As far as I could tell, they had the most consistent and most
interesting interfaces, though they barely used the GUI at all.

Hmmm...

Best wishes,
Clint
(who is falling back in love with Mac OS 9 on a PowerBook 2400)