ISP

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Wed Feb 2 12:53:05 MST 2005

<yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> Subject: ISP
>
> Hi all, I hope this question is on topic.
> I just ordered YDL and am awaiting
> its arrival eagerly.  In the meantime
> I'm trying to figure out what to do about
> my ISP (Juno).  I can't use Juno with
> my desktop linux machine and don't
> anticipate I'll have any luck with YDL.
> So my question is this: do you have
> any recommendations for an ISP that
> is linux friendly? Any advice would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Best, Jonathan Cowden
> *************************
> Breathing in
> Flowers are blooming
> Breathing out
> I am aware that
> Bamboo is swaying
> My mind is free
> And I enjoy every moment
> --Thich Nhat Hahn
> *************************

I have THREE books written by that Monk.  I really appreciate his
work.  I wish I could afford more and get to his community and study
with him in France.  But as most things...that is not as necessary or
important as dealing with whatever one is dealing with bringing full
attention of mind into common/everyday decisions/activities.

Regarding your question regarding ISPs who support Linux.  You could
hunt about of course for those ISPs which specifically support Linux
but many ISP services say they don't support Linux when they are
actually quite capable of allowing Linux operation through their
network.  Juno may be one of these.  Verizon certainly is.

Verizon announces quite clearly that they don't support Linux.
However I've run and used YDL quite well using their DSL network from
within YDL running on an Old World box running no faster than 233MHz.
The requirement is that one must be familiar with understanding how
the redhat-network config runs and interfaces with the Router.  That
is one must have the proper TCP/IP settings used by the Router and
ISP.  If you can discover that then maybe you can stay with Juno and
set up YDL to work within Juno's network.  They don't have to like
it; they probably want to support Windows and not hire Linux people.
But in the context of continuing to receive your money, they would
probably at least probably give you the information you need to setup
YDL on your own.

Currently I'm waiting for some hardware to upgrade my own system to
YDL 4.  I may not be able to help in this regard for a time; however
you could refer to the YDL FAQ pages located at:
www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start/
Within the search field enter the word "network", without quotes and
you should find some more details.