rpm vs. yum vs. apt-get vs. dpkg

Cian Duffy myob87 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 07:07:04 MST 2005

apt-get on Debian uses the Debian PacKaG format, hence the dpkg app

Yellowdog Updater, Modified as Fedora calls it uses the RPM format

However, until yum came about, a number of Linux distros used apt-get
with RPM, most notably YDL and Connectiva. They didn't use apt
repositories or the dpkg format, just apt-get.

Cian