rpm vs. yum vs. apt-get vs. dpkg

Andrew Mason andrew at assertis.net
Fri Feb 4 07:45:22 MST 2005

So here's a question....since apt-get is
a) faster than yum
b) more powerful than yum (apt-pinning etc..)
c) more mature than yum
d) compatible with rpms (as seen in ydl3)

why don't more distros / yellowdog use apt as their main package management
software?

btw apt also works for slackware tgz packages

Not a flame, just curious for the switch.

Andrew M