fear and loathing in ssh-land

greg pressman57 at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 11:24:59 MST 2005

Hi all. I'm having a problem getting any kind of
connectivity between a PC running Mandrake 10.1
and a PPC running YDL2.3 through a Linksys router.

I installed sshd, wu-ftp and webmin on the Mac and
have sucessfully started the services on the correct
ports, I think:

[root at localhost greg]# netstat -lpn
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State       PID/Program
name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6000            0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      837/X
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10000           0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      773/perl
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      1016/ftpd:
acceptin
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      580/sshd
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      718/cupsd

But when I try to either ssh or ftp into the Mac from the PC
I get an error saying the connection was refused. According to
webmin I have no firewall configured, and have tried stopping
iptables to no avail. Nothing unusual has showed up in
/var/log/messages that I can see. I had the server installation
of YDL2.2 running on the same machine (before the hard-drive
crapped out) and ssh worked, so I don't think it's a hardware
issue. One suggestion I found suggested adding the line
sshd:ALL to /etc/hosts.allow but that didn't work either.

I really have searched the lists on this one and can't find
any solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Richardson