Newbie with dumb questions...

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 05:58:51 MST 2005

> I can seem to get any response from the PCMCIA port, I want to run a
> Orinoco radio card, I will eventually buy an Airport card, but they are
> absurdly priced in Australia, I can buy about 6 ¨standard¨ WiFi cards
> for what is being asked for 1 Airport, which is a bit stiff for 802.11b
> gear.

You can safely use some standard WiFi cards, and, unless you're
particularly married to the idea of no external things, it's more than
enough. There are a few that are known to work with PPC Linux (Orinoco
Silver/Gold come to mind?... I'd double check).

> The second major bugbear I have is that I spend a lot of time listening
> to Radio National (http://www.abc.net.au/rn) and prefer the net version
> to live as FM reception is marginal where I live. The RN stream is a
> choice of either Windows Media format or Realplayer format.

Don't know how advanced OSS RealPlayer support is for Mac (alas, for
i86 Linux there's an official (closed source) binary from Real)

> I kind of know that Windows Media isn´t *ever* going to work on any
> Linux machine, but I can find a PPC implementation of a Realplayer. Does
> such a thing exist and where do I get it?

I think there are some projects that are having meaningful results
with some WM formats... again, don't know how advanced the PPC
versions are.

Eric.