can't install os x?

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Mon Mar 28 21:55:06 MST 2005

-----Original message-----
From: Ray

> If you are willing to completely erase your hard drive:
> 1. Start up into Mac OS X from the installer disk.
> 2. Choose Disk Utility... from the Apple menu.
> 3. Set up your partitions. The Mac OS X partition should be set up in
> HFS+ format. For Linux, I chose "free space" in the format menu.
> 4. Go ahead and partition the Hard drive. This will erase all data on
> the Hard disk and split it into Mac OS X and unused space.
> 5. Install Mac OS X.
> 6. Reinstall Linux. When asked where to install Linux, make the
> installer use the free space you allocated.
> 7. Continue with the installation as normal. (Don't worry if you get
> funky colors; I got the same thing on my G5. Use the control panel for >
> the display in the K menu.)
> 8. On startup, boot into Mac OS X by holding the X key. For Linux, hold >
> the L key. For a menu, hold the option key (The menu is much slower).

Here's the link to the most recent install guide at Terrasoft. Highly recommend printing it for reference during install.
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl4.0_guide-double.pdf  (you'll need a PDF viewer Adobe? add-on
to your browser or download it and view it offline).

In addition to what Ray and others have offered, you might want to consider some other options, especially if HDD space
is at a premium.
Some of the Linux/Unix apps can be run under OSX as well. GIMP (Photoshop) and Open Office come to mind. If you do most
of your work in OSX it seems silly to have programs installed in both OS's. In order for these to work you'll have to install
Apple's support for X on your OSX install. Of course you can remove duplicate apps later if necessary, but I've been reworking my
setup since I installed YDL 4 on my G4 a couple of months ago.

Ken Browne clacking the keys in olde Sturbridge village
***********reply to kbrowne01518ATverizonDOTnet***********