Problems Booting YDL From a Firewire Drive

Ray astrochess at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 13 18:15:14 MDT 2005

For what it's worth, I think this is what happened:
1. Installation began as normal. THE INSTALLER SET A CERTAIN
DRIVE/PARTITION ON THE ATA BUS AS THE STARTUP.
2. Installation complete, now Linux works normally booting off of the
ATA bus specified in the configuration file.
3. Drive is moved to Firewire case. LINUX IS NO LONGER AT THE LOCATION
SPECIFIED BY THE CONFIGURATION FILE.
4. Option menu finds the boot partition and displays it as the Linux
boot drive. (Linux is actually on a different, larger partition; the
boot partition is the thing that loads Linux or whatever OS you wish to
operate.)
5. Yaboot works normally from the boot partition, but is working with a
flawed pref file. (I think, that since Mac OS X has not moved, you
should be able to boot into OS X from the yaboot menu, but)
6. Attempts to load Linux fails because of the broken link.

To solve:
1. Find the proper Linux partition and fix the link in the yaboot
configuration file. Upload these changes to the boot partition.

OR

2. Backup files by accessing them from OS X (use an ext2 filesystem for
Mac OS X; I use Brian Bergstrand's program), then reinstall Linux.