Problems Booting YDL From a Firewire Drive

Ken Tompkins kentompkins3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 16 11:57:28 MDT 2005

First of all, I want to thank those folks who have written me with supportive
suggestions. I now have a much clearer idea about what the problem is,
how it happened though I'm still a tad unclear about how to fix it.

The issue seems to involve the wrong information in the yaboot. conf file.
By installing YDL when the disk was actually in the Mac and then moving
it to a firewire enclosure, I fundamentally prevented YDL from booting
because yaboot can't find the boot partition.

The solution seems to be to bring the drive back into the Mac, add correct
information to yaboot.conf, running ybin to "bless" the drive and installing
it once again in the firewire enclosure.

The question I have, then, is what to put in yaboot.conf. I have read some
helpful doc online so I have a general idea about what goes in that file.
I'm not sure what the number of the boot partition is (the drive I installed
YDL on was a new 120 gig drive which has nothing on it but YDL). Is there
a utility -- fdisk or pdisk? -- that will tell me where the boot
partition is and
what it's number is? This is for the image line in yaboot.conf. I
have run dev / ls
in the OpenFirmware so I did copy the info there on the firewire drive.

Second question: do I need an initrd line in the yaboot.conf file. The doc
sent to me says that I do but it refers to some file that was created in
some other process. Do I need a line for initrd?

Third question: if someone has a sample yaboot.conf file (or can send
me theirs) so I can see what a full example would be, it would be helpful
and appreciated.

Thanks, again for the support and helpful comments.

kt

                            Kenneth Tompkins
                        Professor of Literature
                  Richard Stockton College of NJ