Upgrading 4.0.1

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:02:48 MDT 2005

Hi Jeff, sorry to hear that your foray into Linux isn't quite as you'd
wish it to be -- Linux is lightyears ahead of where it was two years
ago (compare Windows 2.0 to Windows 95 beta for e.g.) but it's still
not for those not willing to get their hands dirty.

As for your problems, if you're really interested in giving Linux a
whirl (for the heck of it since you've already installed it), I would
encourage you to check out Bill Longman's FAQ. As he posted, it should
have rebooted and hopefully be faster (unfortunately it still doesn't
seem to be responding).

As to running a yum update, you'll have to modify your yum.conf file.
If you want, you can try mine. You can get to it by logging in as
root, opening a terminal and typing:

gedit /etc/yum.conf

Or, by logging in as your regular user, typing su at the command line
(entering your super-user password) and typing:
gedit /etc/yum.conf

You can then copy and paste the text shown below into that file and,
once saved, you can (logged in as root, NOT as su):

yum update && yum upgrade

(the && tells bash or tcsh or... to run the commands one after the
other without having to be around. PS You may find that it doesn't
like a kernel upgrade. If that's the case, either read the "man yum"
help page to figure out how to exclude the offending package or ask
here)

And, if you're really not up for fixing your present install (easy
now), try Ubuntu. It's a different flavour of Linux (YDL is based off
Fedora Core/Red Hat, Ubuntu is off Debian) with a different philosophy
(instead of kitchen sink they're minimalist in their install).

PS YDL is *damned* stable. My YDL 4.0 server has now been running for
57 days 9 hours and I have regularly logged into it both locally and
across a network into X/GNOME (using XDCMP) and to ssh via OS X's ssh
client. I've also updated X, updated the whole system to YDL 4.0.1 via
yum, got gallery working with Apache, have got wget capturing an ogg
audio stream (and am now going to try to get gstreamer and lame
converting .ogg into MP3s for use with iPod Shuffle), and compiled and
installed Samba (and I ain't no Linux expert by any stretch of the
imagination). However, I haven't actually rebooted the machine to
start running the new kernel (it's a Beige G3 so I'll have to set
xboot to boot with the new kernel next time I reboot... assuming I can
remember how to do this since it's been so long ;-!!!).

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

#[base]
#name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/4.0/base/
#
#[updates]
#name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Updates
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/4.0/update/
#
#[extras]
#name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/4.0/extras/

baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/base/

baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/update/

[extras]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/4.0/extras/

#[freshrpms]
#name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 FreshRPMs
#baseurl=http://ayo.uk3.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/4.0/ppc/freshrpms/

#[freshrpms_os]
#name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 FreshRPMs OS
#baseurl=http://ayo.uk3.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/4.0/ppc/os/

#[freshrpms_updates]
#name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 FreshRPMs Updates
#baseurl=http://ayo.uk3.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/4.0/ppc/updates/