Driver Issue or Hardware Failing....

Wujciak, James (US SSA) james.wujciak at baesystems.com
Wed May 4 09:36:58 MDT 2005

On a PowerBook G4 running 2.6.10-1.ydl.1, I have had seen more than
once, an XWindows pop-up from syslogd: "kernel: journal commit I/o
error". Once this happens most commands fail with the message
"Input/output error" and switching to an alternate (Non-X) window shows
the error "EXT-3 error (device hda3) in start-transition: Journal has
aborted."

At this point only  power-off will shutdown the machine.. and the fsck
takes about an hour to complete. Has anyone seen similar problems or
have an idea if it is an ext-3/driver issue or a failing hard drive

Jim