Sounds on G4

Nigel Horne njh at bandsman.co.uk
Mon May 2 09:32:44 MDT 2005

I can't get sounds to work on my G4.

system-config-soundcard finds the device and lets me play
a test sound, but there is nothing to configure. As I click
on 'play test sound' this error appears on stdout/stderr even
though the sound is played:
	amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
When I hit 'yes' to 'did you hear the sound', the number -8
appears on stdout.

alsactl power 0 says:
	alsactl: show_power:1214: snd_ctl_open error: No such device

If I try ogle, that says
	##!!#!!!!ERROR[ogle_audio]: Opening alsa pcm device 'default': No such
device
	FATAL[ogle_audio]: failed opening the alsa audio driver at default
	ctrl: ipc_rmid: Invalid argument

and then it quits.

Any clues for getting sound to work on my laptop? All is fine
under MacOS/X

-Nigel