regarding triplebooting

Eric McClure r1kk3 at mac.com
Wed May 18 09:38:23 MDT 2005

John, to answer your questions,

yaboot will support as many linux's as you want,
but only one osx and os9 for some odd reason.

It has been said that all of the free space you be at the front
of the drive.

I will recommend that you back up all of your data making 3 free space partitions,
one more for mp3, and one for osx for a total of five partions.

The 3 free space partitions should be at the front part of the hard drive.

The first os loaded was osx.

I rebooted holding down the 'c' key and loaded ubuntu.  It will ask you to either
erase the whole disk or use the free space.  But for some reason it sees all three free spaces
as one large free space.

The three partions that I used were:

1mb boot and told the system to put it at the beginning of the free space.  The different option
must be choosen to make it bootable.
1.2 gb swap and choose it to be at the beginning of the free space.  Use the option in the list box
to make it swap
10 gb for / and told the system to put it at the beginning of the free space.  Use the option in the list box to select / root.

Finally told it to partition the disk and it did.  It then loaded yaboot.

This is what my /etc/yaboot.conf file looked like when the system booted into ubuntu:

boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci at f2000000/mac-io at 16/ata-4 at lf000/diskdo:
partition=4
root=/dev/hda4
timeout=100
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot

#this line will make the system boot into osx by default but know where macosx is!
macosx=/dev/hda3

image=/boot/vmlinux
     label=linux
     read-only
     initrd=/boot/initrd.img
     append="quiet splash"

Copy your own /etc/yaboot.conf file into an email that is web based for future reference.

The next os I loaded was yellowdog.  It is a gui and very nice with a little different partitioner
involved.  To tell you the truth, ubuntu's is nicer in this respect.

I told the partitioner to use the free space and it did its thing.

The system will boot into yellowdog not ubuntu.

This is what my latest /etc/yaboot.conf file looks like:

#yaboot.conf generated by anaconda

#to make osx the default os to boot and to make wifey happy!
defaultos=macosx

boot=/dev/hda2
init-message="Welcome to Penguin Country! Your Windoze using days are over! Hit <TAB> for boot  options."

timeout=300
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
delay=100
enablecdboot
macosx=/dev/hda3

#to boot yellowdog
image=/vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1
	partition=9
	label=yellowdog
	read-only
	initrd=/initrd-2.6.10-1.ydl.1.img
	root=/dev/hda7
	append="rhgb quiet"

#to boot ubuntu
image=/boot/vmlinux
	partition=4
	label=ubuntu
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	root=/dev/hda4
	append="quiet splash"

remember to use /sbin/ybin -v when you are done editing.
You also need to be root to make changes to said file.

It may seem daunting at first but you will feel like ya accomplished something.

There are some links with google with regards to multi-booting linuxes.

take care John and good luck,

eric

p.s. it wasn't really that hard but informative!