Installing YDL4

Ronald Ratcliffe creekart at sympatico.ca
Thu May 26 08:12:32 MDT 2005

  Hello ,

I have a downloaded version of YDL 4.0 that I am trying to install on a
Beige G3 Mini tower. So far I have been following the <ydl
3.0_guide-single.pdf> concerning the use of the <BootX_1.2.2.sit> file
that as I understand it allows me to use YDL 4 on my "Old World" computer.

So far:

The <BootX App> Control Panel is in the Control Panels Folder.

The Linux Kernels folder which contains: <vmlinux-2.6.8-ydl.7> and
<vmlinux 2.6.8-ydl.7g5> is in the system folder.

The <ramdisk.image.gz> is in the System Folder

The < • BootX Extension> is in the Extensions Folder

With the YDL 4 cdrom # 1 mounted and pressing the "C" key at startup I
get the first welcome to Mac OS window and then the <BootX App> window
which asks me to choose between Mac OS and Linux. The white text on
black background boot prompt appears and then I am stuck. Neither the
RETURN key nor the typing of "install-text (ENTER [I use RETURN])"
works. RETURN just duplicates the last line and typing in "install-text"
produces an Incorrect Command line and a "type ?"suggestion which
produces a lot of ,to me, meaningless keyboard commands which don't seem
to work anyway.

I get the same result when I open <BootX App> from the APPLE
MENU-CONTROL PANELS.

I have taken all the Linux files off the beige G3 and have tried to
startup on the YDL 4. cdrom using the C key on startup and by selecting
the YDL 4. cdrom as the startup disc in the STARTUP DISC Control Panel.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all for providing this service.

Ron Ratcliffe
creek art at sympatico.ca