YDL2.0/OS8.6/UMAX J700/SonnetG3 Kernal Panic

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Jul 5 11:21:57 MDT 2005

Hi Joe:
You really are too far back in the version of YDL you are using.  Get
online and download the YDL ISO for YDL 3.0.1; it'll work well with Mac
OS 8.6 AND remember to change the kernel used in BootX!  Also remember
that although BootX can hold more than one kernel, the kernel you do
use must be selected each time "on the fly" however if that is too
bothersome, BootX can be set so that one and only one kernel is
pre-selected everytime BootX is invoked.  That same feature of BootX
also allows the option that your Mac boots into YDL, instead of the
MacOS.  So there are lots of options... if you think things out
carefully enough.

While you are at it, find out whether the Mac you are using is Old
World or New World.  Meaning is it an early Beige G3 or an early G4.
The difference is that New World (G4) based computers can use yaboot
instead of BootX to boot into YDL by just depressing the "c" key on the
keyboard; G3 models need to use BootX, as a general rule.  IF you have
a New World machine you may not need to rely upon BootX, or for that
matter restrict yourself to YDL 2 or 3.0.1, but can download YDL 4.0
ISOs and create your own CDs.  This is best done (ie. the downloading)
by using either broadband or cable, dial-up just tests one's patience.

For more details on various concepts or topics refer to the articles
written here:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

As stated IF you have a New World machine you could run YDL 4.0 (after
having set up the necessary Linux partitions of course; double check to
make sure your current partitions are sufficiently spacious for /,
bootmap, etc. Your kernel may thank you afterwards by behaving
properly; maybe the pointer from the kernel in BootX doesn't know where
the kernel on your partition actually is, because you didn't set BootX
to the correct kernel within the MacOS in the first place?

You don't need to move up to OS X if your current system is not New
World; but if it is New World you really should as OS X is really,
really nice.
Besides, IF you have a NEW WORLD machine, you can move up to YDL 4.0
regardless whether you move up to OS X or not, and remember you can,
under that situation, directly boot into YDL via yaboot.

Best wishes....