YDL2.0/OS8.6/UMAX J700/SonnetG3 Kernal Panic

Norberto Quintanar nquintanar at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 08:54:14 MDT 2005

Joe, the J700 can run well with OS 8.X and even OS9.X with no
problems whatsoever.  My experience with the UMAX line and loading
YDL has been  very frustrating and IMO not worth the effort.  Your
best bet to get a good install is to remove ALL PCI cards.  Then to
force the G3 upgrade card to work with BootX, make sure you make the
extension that activates it load before BootX, by doing the
following:

   - Change its filetype (using ResEdit or FileTyper) to "scri"
   - Add a load of spaces to the beginning of its title.
   - Make sure it has more spaces than BootX or BootX will load
before  thus negating your use of the card in the first place.
 now to installing make sure your click No Video driver option and
also make your kernel argument "install-text" minus quotes obviously.

Good luck and let me know if you get it up and running.

Norberto