Problem after installation on a G3 600mhz iBook

David Betz dbetz at xlisper.mv.com
Wed Jul 20 22:03:57 MDT 2005

I've successfully installed YDL 4.0.1 on my 600mhz G3 iBook but am
having trouble installing additional packages.

Here is what I did:

1) Selected "System Settings/Add/Remove Applications from the menu
2) Typed the root password to get into the "Add and Remove Software"
program
3) Selected "Servers/Network Servers" and clicked the "Details" link
4) Selected the "telnet-server" package
5) Clicked on the "Install Packages" button
6) Clicked on the "Continue" button in the "Completed System
Preparation" dialog

This results in a dialog box prompting me to insert the "Yellow Dog
4.0 disk 1". That disk is already in the CD-ROM drive so I click on
the "OK" button. I then get an error dialog that says:

Unable to access disk
The disk was unable to be accessed for reading. Please
confirm that it is in the drive and try again.

Trying again produces the same results.

I know that the disk is readable because I can type "ls /mnt/cdrom"
from a shell prompt and get a directory listing of the CD. Does
anyone have any idea why the Add/Remove Programs utility can't see
what is on the CD? Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks,
David Betz