Trying to install on a 3400c PowerBook. Help! (corrected)

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 19:33:43 MDT 2005

Hi Deacon Nikolai:
We are all learners, here.  Interesting that there is a similar
statement regarding the purpose of life stated in as ancient a work as
the Bhagavadgita which is only one text of the Mahabharata.  A similar
phrase is found in the Epics of Gilgamesh and I'm sure that sentence
has been repeated throughout the human experience.  But that is enough
philosophy for today!

Since you are running YDL 4.01 elsewhere you may have a ready tool
which you can use, which many others do not.  I know I didn't.  Take
your YDL 3.0.1 disks and have them examined under YDL 4.0.1!  This is
how you do it.

When you are on the Mac with YDL 4.0.1, first make sure the Mac is
shutdown.  Then boot it up, Press the c key.  This will cause the Mac
to switch to YDL 4.0.1.  Keep pressing the c key.  A black screen
appears, let go and clear that line of c's by deleting.

Now type:

install mediacheck

Wait till it this program begins.  Then click to get to the test where
mediacheck will check any CD you place into your CD drive.  Place those
YDL 3.0.1 CD disks there, it will test them for everything.  There is a
caveat here though; I'm not sure if mediacheck will only examine those
disks within it's version.  In other words, the program may be
intelligent enough to distinguish between 3.0.1 and 4.0 or 4.0.1 if
that is the case then it may inspect only 4.0 or 4.0.1 CDs considering
all others failures.

In which case we try a different approach, more techie.  See this link
and try it out:

http://rhlinux.redhat.com/anaconda/manualtest.html

One more thing, accessing Sharp (www.sharplabs.com) is different from
accessing the YDL FAQ pages which reside on a specific sharp server set
aside for that purpose.  If it cannot be accessed via the link provided
then it is under repair or being moved to another server or Sharp has
changed it's mind regarding the YDL FAQ pages.  You can try again at
another time.  Meanwhile, I hope that this is helpful.

Best wishes...