imac g3 tray loading cd drive wont boot from cd or hdd

Peter van der Heide p.vanderheide at imb.uq.edu.au
Sat Aug 27 06:57:07 MDT 2005

Steve -

It wasn't the first time the iMac had been powered off COLD in the last
few months by any chance? There is a problem that pops up in iMacs
about that age where one or more of a bunch of capacitors on the power
supply die. The funny thing is that the computer continues working as
usual, as even once the capacitors go pop, they will continue to
function as long as they're kept warm.

I work in a research complex with around 50-80 iMacs around 4-6 years
old, and every time we have a power interruption, one or two of the
iMacs just dies. The users invariably blame it on a power surge, but in
reality the machine may have been "broken" for months, as they're
rarely if ever powered down completely.

If this is what's happened to your iMac, and you have a techy buddy
(electronics, not computers) who's willing to spend a couple of hours
poking around the analog board, you may be able to fix it for a few
dollars worth of capacitors. To do it in reasonable time, he'll need an
in-circuit capacitance meter - not an overly common device (though not
expensive).

If this isn't the problem, then as Derick points out, you can get an
iMac chassis from eBay for less than minimum service charge at most
apple dealers. Unless you need an upgrade, just
get the one with the least RAM and HD and swap your old ones in. If
you're truly strapped for cash, you can try and flog off all the left
over bits and pieces too.

Best of luck! -pete