YDL, ethernet, appletalk & LW

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 26 10:48:12 MDT 2005

> I want to be able to use my LW16/600 with YDL 4 on a
> G4 AGP Macintosh. It is connected with a crossover cable
> through an Asante FriendlyNet box. YDL is installed on the
> only hard drive in the computer.
> Bootup shows both eth0 and CUPS to be up. I have been unable
> to print to the printer. The printer is named:
> grad.
>
> ifconfig eth0 shows:
> 192.168.1.1
> net mask
> 255.255.255.0
> broadcast
> 192.168.1.255
>
> The printer has an inet address of; 127.0.0.1
>
> Whenever I try to config CUPS using networked UNIX I am asked
> for a Server and Queue name.
>
> I have used: 127.0.0.1 for the server
> and lp1 for the Queue name.

When you use 127.0.0.1 for the name of the server, you're telling your G4 to
look to itself for the printer. Any IP addresses in the 127.* range are
"loopback" addresses and only live on the local host. Every host, therefore,
has (or ought to have) this loopback network so services on the local
machine can talk to themselves. Network printers have the loopback as do all
the Macs on your network. You can see it in "ifconfig" as device "lo".

As Olaf said, you need to configure an IP address on the printer so that
it's IP address is in the same network as your other machines. So give it,
say, 192.168.1.222, and use that in CUPS. Don't just pick an IP address out
of the air, though. If your network is using DHCP, you'd need to find out
what "scope" of IP addresses are being handed out and use an address that is
outside that scope. OR, you can "reserve" an IP address in your DHCP range
but now we're getting into advanced networking that might only serve to
confuse if you cannot administer the DHCP server.

Bill