Will it Install? (a bit more info)

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Mon Nov 28 14:10:01 MST 2005

Regarding the G3, in general it is best to use YDL 3 along with the
program BootX which comes with YDL 3.  BootX is a control panel which
functions within Mac OS 8/9 (otherwise known as Mac Classic OS).
Essentially, BootX is the program used from within Mac OS 9 (or
whatever is the Mac OS standard on that machine) to boot your Mac into
YDL.  If you are willing to do the extra work it takes to use YDL 4 on
an Old World Mac (in general, G3's and older) the instructions are
here:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=381

Remember Old World computers will always need BootX and remember your
environment is not "officially" supported by TSS.  That doesn't mean
that some work around doesn't exist, but rather that as long as you
hang on to the older architecture it will be harder to participate in
the better code and updates intended for newer machines.  Still
throughout the net and some places here there may be others who have
experienced or resolved challenges you one day confront.

Depending upon whether you are successful or not, Linux is a great
laboratory if you can stand mastering all the details.  Even mastering
some details is an impressive accomplishment. Your choice of words, "I
only want to..." may expand into other areas which you may not expect.
If you choose to deepen your foundations consider this as one resource:

http://btob.barnesandnoble.com/home.asp?userid=fQ0kusLCCY&btob=Y