using samba

Taylan Pince taylan at orangeslices.net
Sat Dec 3 20:12:07 MST 2005

hello from a total newbie to the linux world!

i recently got my hands on a powermac 7300, with a g3 325 upgrade
card, and after working on it for a while, i managed to install ydl
3.0.1.

i am in the process of learning linux commands, using terminal, ssh,
pico, etc.

i managed to find an answer to most of my questions through google,
but running a samba file server still eludes me. i cannot find any of
the daemons mentioned on other web sites, like smbd or nmbd. i cannot
find a /etc/initd.conf file either.

i think i managed to configure the smb.conf file, but i don't think
samba is running right now. and i have no idea how to start it up.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot!

cheers,
taylan