Apple Peforma 6200

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 10:23:06 MST 2006

Hi James:
Sloopy is correct regarding his comments on the Performa; you may wish
to follow our exchange on this list.

An enterprising engineering student could take it upon himself to turn
a potentially unworkable project around to his advantage.  You could
write your own C code for the kernel, build your own Nubus driver,
compile that kernel and you would have then a very specific kernel for
that machine.  It's not impossible, we are talking about Linux after
all; Linux will run on anything.  The problem has been of course that
the state of most public schools in the US is such that they are
stronger on anything but serious science and/or math.

James, you don't have to be an engineering student to get this done.
The discipline from such training would be helpful, of course, but you
could do this on your own.  If your teachers were well grounded in
science, physics and electronics that would be great -- but even if all
you have available is a part-time librarian/clerk or a local library
open twice a week -- this can still get done.

The difficulty is really about how much you really want the features
you are looking for to exist where you are.  Linux is very much about a
"build it yourself" attitude; waiting for "someone else" to write or do
it doesn't always work as a plan.  Every program is not available for
everybody to do whatever they envision doing; however the foundation
for building whatever anyone could possibly want from a computer IS
within Linux and the computer languages it uses.

Perhaps it would be helpful to consider Linux like, the childhood game
of Lego blocks.  It is up to you what shape these blocks have
eventually after you put them together.  In that sense, programming in
Linux -- whether drivers, applications or kernels -- is very much the
same.  This is a lot for any newbie, but for someone with determination
and focus it is not a major limitation.  This is the kind of effort
very much worth recognition as a scientific project good for students
at all levels and worthy of the educational staff to support.  Once you
do it, and if you succeed, your school will have a useful tool it can
pass on for use with and by other students.  That alone could be a
powerful incentive.  In my opinion, successful completion of even one
project akin to this is worthy of some sort of academic recognition.
Of course, a

Included here is an observation regarding old systems from the point of
view of power consumption:

Begin forwarded message: